February 11, 2005

How much does a prayer weigh?

Just how much does a prayer weigh? Although no one knows for sure, the Bible says the twenty-four elders have “golden bowls full of incense, which are the prayers of the saints” (Rev 5:8). Imagine all your prayers in a golden bowl! Since our prayers are like incense (which is not very heavy) think of how many prayers would need to go in a bowl for it to weigh anything at all.

A story is told of a grocery store owner who tried to weigh a prayer.

It seems a tired looking woman came into his store and asked for enou­gh food to make dinner for her three children. The grocer asked her how much money she had to spend. The frail lady answered, “I have nothing to offer but a little prayer.”
The grocer was not sentimental nor religious so he said, half-mock­ingly, “Write it out on paper, and I will weigh it.” So she did.
The grocer placed the prayer on the weight side of his old-fash­ioned scale. Then he began piling food on the other side; but to his shock and amazement, the scale would not go down. He finally became flustered and gave the woman a very large bag full of food.
The shopkeeper never saw the woman again, but he treasures the slip of paper upon which her prayer had been written;
“Please, Lord, give us this day our daily bread.”

2 comments:

Loveena said...

To read that again was ... nostalgic. I still remember when I heard that story for the first time in my Catechism Class. I studied in a convent school and we had Catechism Every Morning First Period after assembly and morning prayers. I loved those classes.

Anyway, I thought of writing out my prayer ... unfortunately had no scales to measure! But that was of no consequence for me! Even back then as a kid I 'waited for His time - for in His time He makes all things beautiful' ... Today, I just know He 'listens' to all prayers .... else I would never have come this far !

Have a good week end ...

sophie said...

yeah ....this was from pilgrims journal....one of my favorite .....i too beleive that God watches every one very keenly...and He heeds our every plea
A good weekend for u too