March 02, 2005

sweet memories.........

Me becoming nostalgic after going to Thomas Hall……..i do remember ….my first day in MCC…….big big classrooms………most of them galleries………pulling and pushing black boards………….high ceilings……thick walls………long corridors …….(indeed our corridors where so nice that we can reach the college gate without getting drenched even when it rains)………..deep and dark woods…….smart guys…….n cute gals……… Tat was only a glimpse of MCC ………….which made me feel was I in college??
I was totally confused when I saw professors sharing fag with students in the cafetarea…….yeah our caftearea……..is the example for a pakka college café…..smoke filled café……….viewing only upto 3-4 ft distance possible……..misty foggy smoky……….cool café……..every day something or the other happens there…….4-5 proposals……..4-5 break ups……..pairing and unpairing……..coupling………… decoupling …….these r known and unknown stuff…God knows
B’day parties were usually celebrated……by dipping the B’day babe in and out of a tank with the dirtiest water of the college……….. thank God mine was during the summer hols……….
lemme comeback my first week in class……..freshers welcome party (an official raging festival) in the McPhails…….. after college hrs……me totally scared……… ….a group of guys come and take us to the venue……me shocked to see………. guys n guys n guys….…..one among them comes to me……stands beside me……..says u r taller than me…….so I with draw…….he calls another……he comes and stands beside me……..he again is shorter than me…….. he withdraws……..this continues with 5 more guys….then they discuss and decide something………they call upon two dadas of their class…….these guys were tall ……..taller than me………they came near me……and said lets move…..i asked them “where”…..they show me a conner of McPhails……….so we move there……..the guys asked my name……my ht……..and then said u must be a proud gal……..i asked them “for what?” they look at each other and then tell me “you have to guess our name…………...we give you 5 mins……..do it soon” I reply ”its not possible for me….” The guys say “u do it or u r gone”…..and then they say…”comeon quick”
me keeping quiet……..feeling like crying……but never show it out ….was pretending to be brave
One of them replies “ should we show you our ID”
The other one says “ then you will report to the HOD”
Me says “ do you think I have no other work other than reporting to HOD”
My class guy turns up now near me……..pulls me by hand and takes me from tat place………the guys come down to him……..my class mate says “ yeah good!! guys to guys…is nice…….no….threatening gals” …….i was just shivering……my class mate holds me tight and says ……don’t worry……..i am here……
Later I came to know that the guys were Praveen Sharon and Pratheepan…….both very intimate buddies……..these two guys where very bad in chemistry……..but good in literature…….poetry stuff…….Praveen’s voice was dashing (he was a resident of Thomas Hall…..later we became friends and he used to call me often ) and he was good in English literature and Pratheepan in tamil poetry……..Praveen belonged to Ooty…….his dad owned a tea estate……outa dads compulsion he joined chemistry…….and Pradeepan’s dad was having a printing press at Sivakasi…….they became my best friend’s friend after the fresher trip……..which I avoided out fear……..
In a weeks time I came to know the place where these guys sat in their classroom. We also sat in the room for few classes………and when we sat in that class they had practicals…….this was in my favor…….Praveen always wrote some few lines of poetry in English on the desk…….and me used reply them…….or otherwise it was Pratheepan’s Tamil poetry …….. it became a regular thing and no one else knew that I was doin it except for my best friend……….days turned weeks and weeks turned months ……….it was almost 4 months……….the guys became curious…….wanted to know who was replying them……they were just craving to find out my name………I made them dally round for 1 sem……and finally my best friend……..who was their friend too ……..let it out……..
Me very much happy in having my tit for tat……
They later became my friends too……..
I had an invitation from them to the Hall day celebrations……..so the same Thomas Hall…….was celebrating its day ………me as a student and as a lecturer……….

No comments: